A warm and comforting bowl of Instant Pot beef barley soup, brimming with tender chunks of savory beef, hearty barley grains, and a medley of vegetables. This soup is a perfect meal for a cold winter day or whenever you need a comforting and delicious bowl of goodness.
Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 3 to 5 carrots chopped into ½-inch thick rounds (depending on size)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ cup pearl barley rinsed (Instant works too)
- Turn on the sauté function and add the olive oil to the pot.
- Once hot, add the stew beef cubes to the pot and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook until browned on all sides and then remove the beef to a clean plate.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots to the pot. Cook until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Pour in about 1 cup of the beef broth and stir, scraping up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the remaining beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, bay leaves, barley, and browned beef along with any juices from the plate. Stir well.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set the steam release valve to the sealing position. Pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When the cooking time ends, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes.
- Then quick release any remaining pressure by carefully moving the steam release valve to the venting position.
- Once all of the steam has escaped and the pin has dropped down, open the Instant Pot lid.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve and enjoy:)