This hearty casserole is a great comfort meal and a perfect fall or winter meal.
Sausage, Potato, Apple, and Sauerkraut Casserole
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dinner
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large sweet-tart apple, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 10 ounces turkey kielbasa, or chicken sausage cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 ½ cups drained sauerkraut, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- Dash of ground pepper
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add apple and wine; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until most of the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sausage, sauerkraut, vinegar, mustard, and pepper.
- Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Toss potato slices with the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil, butter, and salt in a bowl until coated. Cover the sauerkraut mixture with tightly overlapping potato slices.
- Bake until the potato edges start to get crispy, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy:)