If you are looking for a change from traditional mashed potatoes you should give this a try. It is delicious and can be made ahead of time.
Mashed Potato Casserole
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 8 medium potatoes
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- ¼ to ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into cubes.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water.
- Boil potatoes until the potatoes are cooked through (approx. 15 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes and return back to the hot pot.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Add sour cream, butter, salt, and pepper to the potatoes and stir to combine
- Stir in the chicken broth until the mashed potatoes are your preferred consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the potatoes into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- After removing the dish from the oven, sprinkle with the scallions and bacon bits.
- Serve and enjoy:)