This is a light-yet-satisfying dish filled with delicious lemon flavor and the added tomatoes, zucchini, and chick peas complete the meal.
One-Pot Lemon-Basil Orzo and Vegetables
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dinner
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (19 oz) chick peas, drained, rinsed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup julienned fresh basil leaves
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Add zucchini; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is lightly browned.
- Transfer zucchini to plate.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the onion and garlic to skillet.
- Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add orzo; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until orzo is lightly toasted.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, chick peas, salt and pepper.
- Heat to boiling; cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until most of liquid has absorbed and orzo is almost tender.
- Add zucchini and lemon juice to orzo mixture; stir to combine.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 3 to 5 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in basil.
- Serve and enjoy:)