These cookies are deliciously soft and fudgy made with less sugar, less butter, and colored a beautiful red.
Healthier Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white chocolate melted
- Red food coloring
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for coating
- 1/2 cup confectioner sugar for coating
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar until smooth.
- Add the butter, vanilla, and melted chocolate, and mix until combined.
- Add enough red food coloring to reach desired shade.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined.
- Freeze the mixture for 30 - 45 minutes, or until firm and chilled completely through.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into 1inch balls.
- Add the granulated sugar to a small bowl and add confectioner sugars to another small bowl.
- Roll ball first in the granulated sugar and then the confectioner sugar.
- Place onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes cookies will be very soft, but will firm up as they cool.
- Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.