These cookies are deliciously soft and fudgy made with less sugar, less butter, and colored a beautiful red.
Healthier Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 2 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup white chocolate, melted
- Red food coloring
- ½ cup granulated sugar, for coating
- ½ cup confectioner sugar, for coating
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar until smooth.
- Add the butter, vanilla, and melted chocolate, and mix until combined.
- Add enough red food coloring to reach desired shade.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined.
- Freeze the mixture for 30 - 45 minutes, or until firm and chilled completely through.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into 1inch balls.
- Add the granulated sugar to a small bowl and add confectioner sugars to another small bowl.
- Roll ball first in the granulated sugar and then the confectioner sugar.
- Place onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes cookies will be very soft, but will firm up as they cool.
- Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.