“Use this delicious filling for your favorite layer cake or to fill cupcakes.
Almond Custard Filling
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3 Eggs, yolks only
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- Put the egg yolks in a medium-size bowl and gently beat them together. Set aside.
- Add the sugar, cornstarch, and milk to a large saucepan and mix until combined.
- Cook, stirring continuously, over medium-high heat until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add a little bit of milk mixture to the egg yolks and whisk together, then add egg mixture to milk mixture.
- Place pan back on the heat and bring to a light boil. Allow to boil for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and add butter and almond extract. Stir until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and press plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard.
- Place in refrigerator to cool completely.