This recipe is my mother-in-law recipe and it is the best gingerbread ever. It makes for a dense but soft, moist flavorful gingerbread. It is my family’s favorite gingerbread.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of molasses
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.
- Mix together the butter, sugar, and egg.
- Blend in the molasses and boiling water.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly and serve warm with whipped cream