This is a nice change from traditional pancakes. This can be made anytime for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even for brunch. Serve with warm maple syrup.
Skillet Blueberry Pancake
Recipe type: Breakfast
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided 2tablespoons melted, 1 tablespoon unmelted
- 1¼ cups blueberries
- Confectioner sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven while it preheats.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together, flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, whisk the buttermilk, egg, vanilla, lemon juice, and melted butter.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until the flour disappears.
- Fold in ¾ cup of blueberries.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the preheated oven.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan and swirl it around the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Pour the batter over the melted butter.
- Top the batter with the remaining blueberries and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until top, is golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes and dust with confectioner sugar.
If you do not have buttermilk on hand, just add 2-1/4 teaspoons to ¾ cup of whole milk and let it stand for about 5 minutes.