My family likes butternut squash and I am always looking for new ways to serve it. This was amazng.
Butternut Squash Sausage and Apple Bake with Brown Rice
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 medium size butternut squash
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion finely chopped
- 1 large apple peeled, diced small
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 links sweet Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup grated creamy Fontina cheese
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs( I used regular bread crumbs)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook butternut squash in instant pot. (See my recipe)
- While your sqaush is cooking, cook your brown rice according to the package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a 10-12 inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, add the onion, appple, and salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook for about 5 minuts or until onions are translucent and the apples have softened slightly.
- Add the sausage and cook for about 6 minutes breaking up the meat, until no longer pink.
- Add the ¼ cup chicken broth and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the brown rice , butternut squash,Fontina, tarragon, and thyme and mix until nicely combined.
- In a small bowl combine the breadcrumb and Parmesan cheese and sprinkle on top of the filling.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy,