I had planned an early Saint Patrick’s Day dinner for the family but several of my family members came down with a bad cold. So guess what? Dinner was canceled! So now what was I going to do with this big head of cabbage I had. One night I fired it up as a side dish (always delicious) but I still had some left over. So I decided to make some soup for my sick family members. It was very well received and very much appreciated.
Instant Pot-Unstuffed Cabbage Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small cabbage
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 150 z diced tomatoes with liquid
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- On your Instant Pot, select saute and allow for the pot to become hot,
- When hot, add in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and add your ground beef.
- Break up the ground beef and allow to cook.
- When almost done, add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- While your meat is cooking, chop cabbage into small 2" pieces.
- Once your meat is done, layer the ingredients as follows.
- Cabbage, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, water, rice, and spices.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set the vent to the sealed position.
- Using the manual setting, select 10 minute cook time.
- Once the cook time is complete, allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, followed by a quick release.
- Serve and enjoy.