My family and friends love this bread and ask for it quite a bit throughout the year. You do not have to wait for Saint Patrick’s Day to enjoy this wonderful bread.
Favorite Irish Soda Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch round baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Set aside one tablespoon beaten egg.
- In a bowl, combine buttermilk, oil and remaining eggs; stir into flour mixture just until moistened (dough will be sticky).
- Stir in raisins.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Brush the top with reserved egg.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy:)