This is a dish your family will enjoy. Serve with bread and a salad for a hearty meal.
Easy Sausage Bake with Sauerkraut and Apples
- 1 large onion quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large apples peeled, cored and diced
- 2 cups apple juice or apple cider
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar I use less
- 2 pounds sauerkraut rinsed and well drained
- 2 pounds sausage such as chicken apple or kielbasa, sliced
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a large ovenproof pan or Dutch oven heat olive oil.
- Add onion and sliced sausages and cook until lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the apples and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Add apple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, sauerkraut, and pepper.
- Cover and and bake for 1 hour.