A nice different way to serve french toast. It is also a good way to use up extra apples. You can also serve this for brunch.
Apple French Toast Bake
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 8 to 12
- French Toast
- 1 loaf Italian or french bread
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- ⅓ cup granulate sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 apples of your choice, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup granulate sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Lightly greased a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Slice the bread into ¾" to 1" slices to fit the pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, then whisk in the milk, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg & salt.
- Pour this mixture over the bread and let it soak for a while or overnight.
- Peel and slice the apples thinly.
- Toss apples with lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, maple syrup, salt and melted butter.
- Top bread with apple mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 30 to 40 minutes. Check at 25 minutes to make sure top is not to brown. If top is browning, cover with foil and continue to bake until done.
- Serve with bacon or sausage and enjoy.
If you are soaking bread over night, do not top with apple mixture. You can either prepare the apple mixture the night before,cover and put in the refrigerator or prepare mixture in the morning.