I love canning applesauce using apples from our tree. We enjoy having fresh applesauce all winter long.
Applesauce Canning Recipe
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Sauce
- 36 medium apples peeled, cored & quartered(
- 7.5 cups of Water
- 3 cups granulated sugar optional
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- Put prepared apples and water into a large stainless steel saucepan.
- Bring the apples and water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally until the apples are tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly for about 5 minutes.
- If puree the apples until smooth with an immersion blender, food mill, or food processor.
- Add the apple purée back to the saucepan and add sugar & lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, frequently stirring to prevent sticking.
- Maintain a gentle boil over low heat while filling jars.
- Add the hot applesauce into jars leaving ½ inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar.
- Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- Using a boiling water canner – process for 20 minutes. Makes about 8 (16 oz) pint jars.