A great and delicious way to use zucchini from my garden.
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dinner
- Tomato sauce
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 14 oz lean Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing, or 1lb ground beef or turkey
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella,
- 8 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving ¼" thick.
- Chop the scooped-out flesh of the zucchini into small pieces and set aside.
- Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Cover the bottom of a 9 x 13" baking dish with tomato sauce.
- Place zucchini halves cut side up.
- In a large saute pan, brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into smaller pieces until browned, and set aside.
- Heat oil and add onion and garlic.
- Cook on medium-low heat until onions are translucent.
- Add chopped zucchini, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine with sausage, add desired tomato sauce, and cook a few more minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with ⅓ cup cooked sausage, pressing firmly.
- Top each with 1 tablespoon each of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon each of parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked.
- Serve and enjoy:)