I like making these peppers especially during lent season. It is a nice meat-free meal my family enjoys.
Lentil Tomato Stuffed Peppers
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dinner
- Olive oil
- ½ cup dry brown lentils, picked over, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 large green or yellow bell peppers
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 can (14.5 oz each) Petite Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Shredded mozzarella cheese for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, and set aside.
- Combine lentils, water, and thyme in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain and keep warm.
- While lentils are cooking, cut bell peppers lengthwise through the stem into halves.
- Remove seeds and membranes.
- Place peppers, cut-side down on the baking sheet, and brush outside with a little olive oil.
- Bake for15 minutes or until tender.
- Add a little olive oil to a skillet
- When hot, add onion and celery.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add undrained tomatoes, cooked lentils, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer; keep warm over low heat.
- Turn pepper halves over.
- Fill the peppers with tomato-lentil mixture
- Top with the cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes more to melt the cheese.
- Serve and enjoy:)