Using ground turkey, chickpeas, and Feta cheese is a nice change from traditional sloppy joes This is an easy healthy dish the family will enjoy.
Greek Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Crock Pot
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 can chickpeas (14.5 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- For Serving:
- 8 buns of choice
- 6 ounces reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese
- Sliced cucumber
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high.
- Add the turkey and onion and cook, breaking up the meat, until the meat is cooked through and the onion is tender about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, and black pepper and cook just until the garlic is fragrant about 30 seconds. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the bell pepper, chickpeas, tomato sauce, tomato paste, honey, oregano, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Spoon the mixture onto the bottom of a bun.
- Top with feta, sliced cucumber, and the top bun.
- Serve and enjoy:)