I love making this shepherd’s pie using sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes for a nice change. This is the perfect comfort food for a crisp fall day.
Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1.5 lbs Sweet Potatoes peeled and chopped
- ½ Teaspoon Italian Seasoning Blend
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion diced
- 2 cups cubed turkey
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup Chicken broth
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas or any other veggies like corn, carrots, defrosted
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan with just enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. About 10 minutes.
- Drain and mash, then season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning blend.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes, then stir in the garlic and cook for a minute or so.
- Add the ground meat and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until the meat is cooked through.
- Stir in the tomato paste, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper, and broth.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the liquid is reduced, then stir in the peas.
- Spread the meat mixture into a 2-quart baking dish.
- Add mashed potatoes on top and spread it evenly all the way to the sides.
- Bake until the potatoes are just starting to brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy:)