This easy recipe is a great way to use leftover ham. You will love the great savory flavor and the best part is it is made all in one pot.
Ham and Rice Casserole
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dinner
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Small white onion peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 ¾ cup chicken broth
- 3 cups broccoli florets cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups leftover ham diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Add the butter to a deep skillet or a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add in the onion and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Then add the minced garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add the rice and sauté until the rice starts to turn a light golden color.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Then cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the 10 minutes have passed, remove the lid from the rice and gently stir in the broccoli and ham.
- Place the lid back on the pan and cook for another 8 minutes then add the freshly grated cheese and stir to combine.
- Place the lid back on the pot and remove it from the heat.
- Let the cheese melt before serving with fresh parsley if desired.
- Serve and enjoy:)