One of the many great things about summer is blueberry pie. We love blueberry picking and making pies with freshly picked blueberries. The pie is juicy, delicious and a family favorite.
- Double crust
- 6 fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg beaten and 1 tablespoon milk for an egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a large bowl and toss to coat.
- Pour into the prepared pie crust.
- Top with remaining crust and gently brush with egg wash.
- Place pie on a baking sheet to catch any juice that might drip over the edge while baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then decrease the oven temperature to 375 degrees (use a crust guard to protect the edges) and continue to bake for 40 to 50 minutes until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Cool for a least 2 hours before serving so the filling can set up.
- Serve and enjoy:)
If you do not have cornstarch, you can use 6 tablespoons of flour to thicken the filling.