These cookies are perfect for decorating because they do not spread and are soft and delicious.
Cut of Sugar Cookies
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 3 dozen
- Sugar Cookies:
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 ½ to 2¾ cups all-purpose flour*
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 3-4 TBS milk room temperature
- 2 ½ TBS light corn syrup
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Food coloring
- Sugar Cookies:
- Cream together butter and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer.
- Add vanilla and eggs and beat until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt and beat until combined.
- Divide dough into two equal portions.
- Shape each piece of dough into a round, flat disc and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two to four large baking sheets with parchment paper set aside.
- Remove one sugar cookie dough disc from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 5 minutes to soften slightly.
- Place sugar cookie dough on a floured surface and roll to ½” or ¼” thickness (thicker = softer cookies).
- Use your favorite cookie cutter shapes and cut out the dough and place them 1” apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 9-10 minutes or until cookies are puffed and just set around the edges.
- Remove and let sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with second disc of dough.
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Start with 2 tablespoons milk and increase until your desired consistency is achieved.
- If using food coloring, separate frosting into smaller bowls and add food coloring to your liking.
- Place each color in a disposable piping bag fitted with your tip of choice.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, decorate cookies.
- Let decorated cookies sit at room temperature for at least 3 hours, or until the frosting is completely hardened. Chilling them in the refrigerator helps speed up the setting process.
- Store in an airtight container or on a plate wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature or in the refrigerator.