This is a healthy recipe to enjoy this classic comfort food with a delicious crust that does not use butter or cream but does not skimp on flavor.
Healthy Chicken Pot Pie
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1cup chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces or 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, sliced ⅛-inch thick (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced ⅛-inch thick (1 cup)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed on a paper towel
- ¾ teaspoon salt (less if using salted stock)
- pepper to taste
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together stock, milk, and flour until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in your biggest pan over med-high heat.
- Cook and stir onion, carrot, & celery until just tender.
- Add chicken. Cook & stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in peas followed by chicken stock mixture, salt & pepper.
- Cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes until thick.
- Pour into a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Set aside.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add oil & milk all at once. Stir with a fork.
- Shape into a 5-inch disc and place between 2 sheets of floured wax paper.
- Roll into a 12-inch circle.
- Brush the rim of the pie pan with eggwash.
- Gently remove crust from wax paper and place onto the pie.
- Trim away or flute overhanging crust, pressing down edges.
- Brush the entire crust & edges with eggwash.
- With a sharp knife, poke about a dozen holes in the top to release steam.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let stand at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy:)