We love peppermint bark for Christmas and every year we make several batches for gathering, and gift giving. It is a nice treat to enjoy at Christmas time.
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 1.5 lbs
- 12 ounces Guittard or ghirardelli semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon peppermint oil or peppermint extract
- 12 ounces Guittard or ghirardelli white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 10 small, hard peppermint candies, crushed or pre-crushed peppermints.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with foil, leaving a slight overhang, and grease lightly.
- Place about 2 inches of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer (or use a double boiler).
- Add the 12 ounces of semisweet chocolate to a medium glass bowl and set the bowl over the sauce pan (or use a double boiler).
- Stir the chocolate until the chocolate is melted.
- Once all the semisweet chocolate has melted, stir in peppermint oil or extract then gently scrape the chocolate into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly over the bottom.
- Allow the chocolate to set and cool room temperature for about 15 minutes or place in the refrigerator to cool before topping with white chocolate.
- Return the water in the saucepan (or double boiler) to a simmer and repeat the same process with the white chocolate.
- Once melted, gently and evenly spread the white chocolate over the semisweet chocolate.
- Sprinkle the top with crushed peppermint candies.
- Allow the bark to set a room temperature for a least one hour until firm.
- Lift the bark out and break into pieces.