My husband loves these cookies with their buttery flavor and jelly filling.
Italian Sandwich Cookie aka Occhio di Bue
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter chopped
- 1 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- For the Filing:
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1/4 cup Jam of choice
- powdered sugar for dusting
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour and salt, make a well in the flour.
- Add the eggs, beat just to wet the flour, add the sugar and mix.
- Add the chopped butter and beat to form a smooth compact dough, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove from the fridge and knead a few times to soften up the dough.
- Using a small round cutter (1.5 inches ) form cookies slightly thicker than pie dough 1/8 inch .
- Leave half the cutouts whole and the other half cut out a small form in the middle (heart, round shape, star.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place cut out circles on a parchment paper lined cookie sheets and refrigerate approximately 15 minutes while oven is heating.
- Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until very lightly golden.
- Let cool completely.
- Dust the cut out cookie with icing sugar if desired.
- Place filling (1 teaspoon more or less of desired filling) on whole cookie and cover with the cut out cookie.
- Be sure to bake the small cut out forms on a separate cookie sheet because they only take about 5-6 minutes to bake.