This is a healthier version of chicken pot pie but it does not skimp on flavor! It is a favorite around my house.
Chicken Pot Pie Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dinner
- 5 cups cooked spaghetti squash, (1 Large size)
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups shredded chicken or turkey
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 4 ounce canned mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions, and cook until the onions have completely softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook one minute longer.
- Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and rosemary cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen peas and carrots.
- Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Cook for a minute while stirring.
- Slowly add the milk and stir the milk into the vegetables.
- Let the filling come up to a simmer and then let thicken for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and ¼ cup of the parmesan cheese.
- Remove the skillet form the heat.
- Pour the filling into a large bowl along with the cooked spaghetti squash.
- Stir gently to combine the filling.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top the casserole with the remaining parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- To brown the topping even more, place the casserole under the broiler for 3-4 minutes.