This is a tasty and great way to use eggplant from my garden. It is a nice change from the traditional meat recipe. Serve them with pasta or even as parmesan sandwich.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 cups eggplant cut into 1” cubes (2 medium eggplants)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil,
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups dried breadcrumbs
- ⅛ teaspoon of sea salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook to lightly brown about 30 seconds..
- Add eggplant and water.
- Reduce heat to low and cover the skillet.
- Cook eggplant until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the eggplant mixture in a food processor and pulse until well chopped, but not pureed.
- Transfer eggplant to a large mixing bowl and add cheese, parsley, basil, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Stir mixture well to combine using a wooden spoon.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes. By doing this it makes it easier to roll into meatballs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Roll the mixture into 1 ½ ” balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until firm on the outside and light brown underneath.
- Serve as desired and enjoy!
Let cooked meatballs cool on baking sheet.
Once cooled, place the baking sheet in the freeze.
Freeze for 30 to 60 minutes.
Put them in ziploc freezer bags.