I know what you are thinking, beets in brownies but they are amazing. They are soft, moist, red velvet beauties, and so delicious. My family devours them every time. So mix up a batch I am sure you too will enjoy them! I also some times frost the brownies with an avocado chocolate frosting. I know I know avocado but give a try you will be amazed by the way the avocado and beet brownies compliant one another. So like I said before, give it a try I know you will enjoy this unique but tasty treat.
- Beet puree:
- 1 large red beet or two small beets or a 14.5oz can
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Beet Brownies:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup beet puree
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- To make beet puree:
- You can cook the beets until soft either in the oven, in an Instant Pot, or boil them.
- Once you have cooked the beets, allow beets to cool enough to handle and peel away the skin.
- To puree beets:
- Puree beets in a food processor or blender with just enough buttermilk to allow the puree to achieve a very smooth consistency.
- To make brownies:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line an 8x8x2 metal pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- Using a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir frequently until it bubbles and slightly boils.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder, and salt and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs.
- After butter mixture has cooled in the pot about 4-5 minutes, slowly pour eggs into the butter mixture, stirring constantly until well combined.
- Add vanilla and beet puree, stir to combine.
- Add flour and baking powder, stir to combine.
- Add chocolate chips, stir to combine.
- Bake 25-35 minutes in preheated oven or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool, (frost if using) slice, and enjoy!
- Avocado Chocolate Frosting:
- Add 1 ripe medium avocado, halved, pitted, flesh scooped out
- Add 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Add 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and thick.
- Spread over chilled brownies.
Store leftover brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.