All the flavors of a cheeseburger but in a creamy delicious soup. Perfect for a cold winter day.
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Soup
- 3 hamburger buns, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1lb ground beef
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk, or more, as needed
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until crisp and golden, about 10-15 minutes; set aside.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook until brown and crisp.,
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, drain excess fat and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot oven over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, celery, carrots and Worcestershire.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in ground beef, cheese, salt, and pepper, to taste.
- If the soup is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with croutons, bacon, and chives, if desired.