My family loves Sloppy Joes but it is nice to mix it up sometimes. This is perfect for weeknights, weekends, or anytime.
Healthier Sloppy Joes (Turkey)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Onion diced fine
- 1 Large celery stalk chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Garlic minced
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey
- 1 Carrot grated
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat a dutch oven over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Once it's hot, add the onion and stir occasionally until translucent.
- Add the celery and garlic and stir occasionally for 1 minute.
- Add the ground turkey, break it up, stir it all together, and cook until now longer pink.
- Add the carrots, mustard, Worcestershire, liquid smoke, chili powder, and paprika.
- Then add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve on your favorite type of bread.
- Slow Cooker :
- Prepare the onion and meat as per above.
- Spray crockpot for easy cleanup.
- Turn a crockpot onto low heat.
- Add the meat, onions, and all remaining ingredients.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low or on high for 2-3 hours.
- Instant Pot:
- Turn the instant pot onto sauté and add the onion and oil and proceed just as the original recipe states.
- Continue with the recipe as normal and then turn the instant pot to manual high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow a natural release for 5 minutes and then turn to vent and remove the lid. Serve as normal.