This reminds me of my childhood. I use to love it when my mother made this type of pound cake. The cake is moist and has just the right amount of chocolate flavor. It is a little time consuming to make, but definitely worth it.
Old-Fashioned Marble Pound Cake
- Vanilla batter
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups 298g granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- Chocolate batter
- 6 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon butter melted
- Coarse sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9" x 5" bread loaf pan and set aside.
- To make the vanilla batter:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time; once all the eggs have been added, scrape the bowl, then beat the butter on high speed for 5 minutes, until it's creamy and light.
- Beat in the salt, vanilla, and baking powder, then stir in the milk alternately with the flour, beginning and ending with the flour.
- To make the chocolate batter:
- Take one-third of the batter (about 1 1/2 cups,), and place it in a small bowl.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, and melted butter.
- Spread a cup of vanilla batter (about 8 ounces) in the bottom of the pan.
- Dollop on 3/4 cup chocolate batter, then repeat with another heaping cup of vanilla batter, the remainder of the chocolate, and top with the rest of the vanilla batter, no need to swirl batters.
- You will have three vanilla and two chocolate layers.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake heavily with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Bake for about 70 to 75 minutes, tenting it with foil after 60 minutes.
- Test it with a cake tester to make sure the center is baked all the way through; if it's not, keep baking until it is. (be careful to not overcook or it will be dry)
- Remove the cake from the oven, and after 10 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.
- Serve and enjoy!