Use this delicious chocolate filling for your favorite layer cake or to fill cupcakes.
Chocolate Custard Filling
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1-1//4 cups sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Put the egg yolks in a medium-size bowl and gently beat them together. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add milk and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Add a small amount of the chocolate mixture into the beaten egg yolks, stirring well.
- Add the egg mixture back to the chocolate mixture in the saucepan.
- Stir and heat again just until boiling.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Pour into a bowl and press plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard.
- Place in refrigerator to cool completely.