My daughter made this for dinner tonight using leftover ham from Easter. It was so flavorful and cheesy. The whole family enjoyed this yummy meal.
Chessy Ham Casserole
Author: Chef Rachel
Recipe type: Dinner
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup soft bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a boil.
- Reduce heat; and cook until just tender is careful not to overcook.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the ham, and onion in 3 tablespoons butter for 2-3 minutes.
- Add to the potato mixture and transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter.;
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; add cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour over the ham mixture.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!