The title says it all. I have been making this pie for many many years. It comes out perfect every time. It is my family’s favorite apple pie.
Perfect Apple Pie
Recipe type: Dessert
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (about 5-6)
- ¾ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 pie crust homemade or store-bought
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoons milk
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and gently mix to combine.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge and using your finger coat edges with water to seal with top crust.
- Roll remaining crust to fit the top of pie; place overfilling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in crust.
- Whisk together the egg and milk until well combined. Brush on top of the pie and around the edges. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- Cook uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Then cover loosely with foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the filling is bubbly.
- Once the pie is finished baking, remove from the oven, and set on a wire rack to cool completely
- Serve and enjoy.
I have made the pie without the sugar and it is still perfect and delicious