My husband made this for me because he knows how much I love this soup. It was so out of this world!!
Instant Pot French Onion Soup
Recipe type: Dinner
- 2 pounds yellow onions peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2-32ounce beef broth (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- For Serving:
- 6 toasted baguette slices
- 2 cups grated Gruyere or swiss, parmesan or mozzarella
- Place onions, butter, and sugar in Instant Pot.
- Sautee for 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are golden brown and caramelized.
- Be sure to watch them so they do not burn.
- Add the flour and garlic and stir for 1 minute or until the flour is cooked through.
- Add the broth and balsamic vinegar.
- Close lid and set vent to the sealed position.
- Set to high pressure and set the cooking time to 5 minutes.
- After the time is done, do a quick release allowing steam to vent.
- When completely vented, remove the lid.
- TO SERVE:
- Preheat broiler and move oven rack to top position.
- Spoon broth into 4-6 ovenproof serving bowls.
- Top with a slice of toast and a generous sprinkle of cheese.
- Set the bowls on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Broil until cheese is melted and browned in spots
- Serve immediately and enjoy!