I normally make baked ziti the old fashion way by assembling it with layers. I like using this recipe when I do not have the time or patience for the traditional way. It is quite simple and still tastes great.
Easy Baked Ziti
- 1 lb ziti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef turkey works well too
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1-/12 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil.
- Add onion and cook until onion is soft.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add meat and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until no longer pink and drain fat and return to saucepan.
- Stir in tomato paste, and oregano and cook for 2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a simmer, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine sauce and pasta. Fold in ricotta cheese.
- Spread about half of the pasta mixture into the bottom of a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle half of the mozzarella and Parmesan over the pasta.
- Top with the rest of the pasta mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
- Cover with foil and bake until cheese is bubbling about 20 to 25 minutes.