I made this for lunch one day and the family loved it. My daughter who is not a big fan of lentils even likes it. It is a nice change from the normal sandwich.
Sloppy Lentils in Pita
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz ground lamb
- 3/4 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup water divided
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 6- inch whole-wheat pitas cut in half
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 small cucumber thinly sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook 3-5 minutes
- Add in the ground lamb and cook about 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add the lentils, cumin, and thyme; stir until seasonings become fragrant.
- Add 1/2 cup water, tomatoes, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir lentil mixture; add the remaining 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover and cook for 15 more minutes or until lentils are tender and the mixture is thick.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Fill each pita half with 1/2 cup lentil mixture.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon yogurt into each pita half; top with 2 tablespoons cucumber
You can also chop the cucumber if desired. My daughter likes it that way.