These have become one among my family’s favorite Christmas cookies. We make these every year for Christmas. We love using several different types of jam for a nice variety of flavors.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon jam of choice.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter on medium speed.
- Add sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla one at a time, mix until incorporated.
- Combine flour, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter.
- Mix until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Knead a few times.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (for easy clean up)
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet 2-inches apart.
- Make an indentation in the center of each ball with your thumb.
- Fill each cookie with a generous ¼ teaspoon of jam.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, about 14-15 minutes.
- Allow cookies to rest for a minute before transferring to a rack to cool.
Top oven: 14 to 15 minutes.
Bottom oven: 11 minutes