I had some beef stew meat and wanted to make something different with it so I decided to make this pie. It was flavorful, and the sauce was so creamy. The flavor was even better the next day.
- 1 lb Beef stew meat cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil plus 1 teaspoon
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Large onion chopped
- 1-1/2 Cups chopped carrots
- 1-1/2 Cups chopped celery
- 1 Teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 Teaspoon dry rosemary
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup dry red wine
- 1/2 Cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 Cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon dry parsley or 1.4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pie crust for the top
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add meat in 2 batches.
- Cook meat for 1 minute on each side.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the pan.
- Add onion and cook for 1 minute while scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooded spoon.
- Then add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add carrots, celery, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over vegetables; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add red wine, milk, and, broth and bring to a boil.
- Add back the meat and add parsley.
- Pour mixture into a deep dish pie plate and cover with top crust.
- Cut several slits in the crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.