I love to make this in the fall with the abundance of apples we have. I prepare this in the morning and let it sit all day to allow the flavors to mature and let the consistency solidify. Just heat and server for dinner.
Scalloped Potato, Apple and Apple Sausage
- 2 pounds of potatoes sliced ( I wash and left skin on)
- 3 apples peeled cored and sliced
- 1 package of apple sausage sliced and cut in halves
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Greased a 9 x 13 baking pan, set aside.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter.
- Add onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk and whisk to combine, stirring until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Layer half of the potatoes in the baking dish.
- Layer half of the apples and half of the chicken sausage.
- Pour half of the sauce evenly over the top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Make another layer and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until done.