This was a hit with the family especially my daughter who loves anything bacon. It was a great way to use up the extra eggs I had.
Bacon Potato Egg Casserole
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Large cookie sheet lined with foil
- Place bacon on prepared cookie sheet and cook for 18 minutes or until desired crispness.
- Remove bacon and place on a plate with paper towels, set aside.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Set aside
- Chop the cooked bacon and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and whisk in the milk.
- Stir in onions, garlic, potatoes and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Set ¾ cup of bacon aside and stir in the rest.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes so the eggs start to set.
- Add the remaining bacon to the top of the casserole.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the eggs are firm and the top is slightly golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.