Growing up in an Italian family everything was fried in oil. Now as an adult, I have revamped some of my favorite childhood recipes to be more healthy but still delicious.
Sheet-Pan Eggplant No-Fry
- 1 medium-large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat an 18 x 13 -inch sheet pan in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Peel and slice eggplant into 1/2 inch-thick rounds.
- Use three shallow dishes for the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs.
- Dredge an eggplant slice in the flour (tap off excess flour), then dip in the egg and finally dredge it in the breadcrumbs.
- Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- When all the eggplant slices are breaded, carefully remove the heated pan from the oven and brush with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Place the eggplant on the sheet pan in a single layer.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, then flip the slices and continue baking for an additional 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Top the baked eggplant with the tomato sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with pasta of choice or enjoy as a sandwich.