I have made this filling many times for birthday cakes. My family loves the lemony flavor.
Lemon Cake Filling
Author: Country Girl
Recipe type: Filling
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 drops yellow food color if desired
- In 1½-quart saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Gradually stir in water.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute longer; remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and lemon peel until butter is melted.
- Gradually stir in lemon juice and food color.
- Press plastic wrap on filling to prevent a tough layer from forming on top.
- Refrigerate about 2 hours or until set.