I make this using left overs from Thanksgiving. My family really enjoys it.
Turkey Shepard's Pie
Recipe type: Dinner
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 3 medium carrots, large dice (can use left overs)
- 2 medium celery stalks, medium dice
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds cooked turkey meat, cut into large pieces
- 5 cups mashed potatoes(can use left overs)
- Heat the butter in a dutch oven.
- Add onions cook until soft.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add carrots, celery, and thyme and cook until the vegetables are just getting tender.
- Add flour, stirring until it is well incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth and turkey. Bring mixture to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently until vegetables are tender and sauce has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Transfer mixture to a 13 x 9 baking dish and spread mashed potatoes over top.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until the filling is hot and the top is browned.