Who doesn’t like a good Sloppy Joes sandwich especially when it it homemade. With this recipe you can make it a little spicy or as spicy as you like it. I am sure your family will enjoy it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced carrot or chopped bell pepper or even both
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Salt to taste
- 1-1/4 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 4 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar I do not use
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 rolls of choice
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan on medium high heat.
- Add the carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and celery.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Remove from heat and remove vegetables from the pan to a bowl, set aside.
- Using the same pan, crumble the ground beef and cook until done.
- Drain ground beef.
- Returned drained cook ground beef to pan and add vegetables.
- Add the ketchup, tomato sauce,Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and brown sugar to the pan.
- Stir to mix well.
- Add ground cloves, thyme, pepper, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Lower the heat to medium low and let simmer for 10 minutes
- Serve on your favorite roll or bread