All I can say is WOW This was amazing. Another great enjoyable way to use tomatoes from your garden. I made this as a side dish, but it could be used as a meal.
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- ½ yellow or red onion, chopped
- 3-4 tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped to yield 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- Oregano to taste
- 2 cups grated cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack or Mozarella or any kind you prefer)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 350°
- Place pie shell in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes of longer until lightly golden. If you are starting with a frozen crust, you'll need to cook it a little longer.
- Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion.
- Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onion.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, oregano, salt and pepper.
- The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snow ball.
- Spread the mixture over the tomatoes.
- Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly 25 to 45 minutes
I cooked my frozen pie shell for 13 minutes. I cooked the pie for a total of 35 minutes and let it coll for 10 - 15 minutes before serving.