Always better than store bought.
Sweet Pickle Relish--Home Made
- 4 cups chopped cucumbers about 4 medium
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup green pepper chopped
- 1 cup sweet red pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup canning salt or Kosher Salt
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp celery seed
- 1 tbsp mustard seed
- Combine cucumber, onions, green and red peppers in a large bowl;
- sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water.
- Let stand 2 hours.
- Prepare home canning jars and lids according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Drain vegetables thoroughly; press out liquid.
- Combine sugar vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed in a large sauce pot;
- Bring to a boil.
- Add drained vegetables; simmer 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully pack hot relish into canning jars; leaving 1/4 inch head space.(Note: Although some of the brine needs to go in the jars, I use a slotted spoon to keep it from being too soupy.).
- Adjust/tighten caps.
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath pot/tub